The Frieze

A large part of why I started this blog was to have the freedom to write. I could carve out words here that I couldn't elsewhere. Not that my experience is entirely unique, but I have always felt the fishbowl effect. It stems from my vocation as a pastor. I cannot say everything that I want to say. My words are scrutinized to a higher standard. Everything that appears on Facebook needs to appear "redemptive", needs to end well. Every dark cloud must have its silver lining.

I felt that Overproportionate was that place for a long time, and perhaps I am wrong in thinking that things have changed. But I just don't feel safe writing about anything and everything.

There is something about seminary that people worry about. A fear that maybe I would become liberal, arrogant, or somehow less myself.

I don't believe that my values have changed. Not one iota. I have always cared for the orphan, widow, and the foreigner (Deut. 10:18, Zech. 7:10). I will always be opposed to abortion. I care so much about that issue that I don't believe that voting once every 4 years is enough.

When God made a people. When God chose Abraham. He did so with purpose.

Gen. 12:2 “I will make you into a great nation,
    and I will bless you;
I will make your name great,
    and you will be a blessing."

God's people were blessed… in order to be a blessing. That must be the emphasis. Instead, we are known for what we oppose. Known for what we hate. Blessed to be a blessing? ha.

Have I changed in a scary way? Maybe. Maybe I have. I believe that we are all capable of much more than we have offered on the altar up to this point. 

Our sacrifices are scant, sparse, and ill-informed. 

It wouldn't bother me so much if I wasn't convicted myself. 

Not to declare myself a prophet. I am not a prophet. But if you have never gazed upon the 'Frieze of the Prophets', you really should. It is a painting done across several panels. It is some of the most honest artwork I have ever seen. We often think of the prophets as holy men who, "spoke as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit"(1 Peter 1:21). They were. But their lives were often miserable. Their message was hated by the people because it demanded sacrifice, surrender, reconciliation, and obedience. The following image is my favorite panel from this collection.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If only a god could speak into our world...

Something Held On To

Maybe a little too much