Thoughts on a Song

I think I want to try my hand at writing a song. It won't be run of the mill, I promise that much. Thinking over songs that have... how do I say this in a meaningful way... become a part of me over the years, there are some common elements that are shared.

I like the gritty song. I like the song that starts rough, that isn't just admitting defeat, but butting heads, fighting with God. Not just to be edgy, but to be honest. I like the songs that are frustrated. I am drawn to elements of Jimmy Eat World and Linkin Park, not the emo part, but the part that is real and honest.

I love songs that elude to the depths that God is willing to go to. Songs that show our shame. Songs that remind us that we were, are, and will continue to be undeserving.

I like songs that call us out of the depths. Songs that call for more than change, more than a percentage. But songs that demand a revolution of the human spirit.

I want a song from a different perspective. A song that tells us something.

It isn't that I don't enjoy songs from our perspective, but I also love a song that has something to tell us, a song that demands something from us. I am not wise enough, good enough, authoritative enough to call that out of a people, but His words are.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If only a god could speak into our world...

Something Held On To

Maybe a little too much