Hands of Mine

"I'll take these hands of mine and tear open your rib cage,
climb inside to see if there still hangs a beating heart."
-Mike Mains & The Branches, Where Love Dies

This song wasn't about what I wish it was. It is a song about divorce & breaking apart. When I hear this bridge, I can only see a search for a beating heart. And I wonder if this generation really has one.

There are so many songs on my top 100 list that are about what our hearts beat for. I think there's something to it. But we , and the generations that are in high school right now, are the generations that will be content to sit in the hallway on our cell phones. We are the generations that want the nice car, big house, pretty wife. We are, and I mean this as harshly as I can through text, "just fine" with that. 

Our hearts beat independently. Entirely. Entirely alone. 

We are the generation that seeks out a sense of belonging, so long as that group is after OUR cause, and OUR heart. 

We desire to serve overseas to feel better about ourselves. To better ourselves. Not altogether bad, but certainly not altogether good.

I wonder at this point if we have a heart. If we really do. I rarely see it. That kind of good is rare, and it is noticed. I take note, it stands out. 

But at what point, and this is no conspiracy theory, no end of the world prediction. But when will he tear apart our rib cage to see if there still hangs a beating heart?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If only a god could speak into our world...

Something Held On To

Maybe a little too much