conundrum

Here he lies, he killed a thousand men.

Here he lies, he loved much.

I have a hard time with this kind of thought. If I were to find gravestones with those words inscribed on them, I don't know if one would be rated higher than the other. I began thinking that I would much rather prefer the latter. I would much rather be known for love.

But David killed his ten thousands. David was honored for that. That was one of the areas of his life that he actually followed God in.

In today's society, that is a hard thing. 140+, mostly children were just killed by the Taliban today. Killing in the name of God is, not just a tough subject, it is a monstrosity.

It is hard to justify the killing on one person. If there was someone coming into my house to kill me and my wife, that's self defense, but I've never seen 10,000 pour through the door.

I feel it must boil down to what God calls you to do in one place at one time. The people killed by David were not innocents. God wanted his people to be pure, to be in the light.

We also don't see much in the way of commands to kill in the name of the Lord in the New Testament. It looks a lot more like turning the cheek, like seeing people as more than wrong.

Where do we go with this?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If only a god could speak into our world...

Something Held On To

Maybe a little too much