self-taught

I am not sure if I like poetry, or if it just the form I feel compelled to use. Many of my favorite writings are poems, but they needn't be.

I like short stories, for their brevity, and how I am able to consume so many of them. I love how they are able to at least begin a story, leaving me to fill in the blanks with my own experience. I love the idea of many stories, many thoughts. Classic novels are wonderful and rich, and can be more memorable. But they don't seem to teach me much more than a good poem might.

But here is where poems and I don't get along. There is a certain pressure in poetry, to make the rhymes work. To do it all... right.

I don't always desire that rightness. I hate rhymes that mean nothing, that just are. They don't add anything, and actually take away, because my mind is taken away, to wondering why the author felt the need to put two terrible words together.

I know many famous musicians have hated lyrics. Found no need for them. You can't very well sell an instrumental album after all. You can't sing along with that.

But I would rather write a blank page, than use words I don't mean.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If only a god could speak into our world...

Something Held On To

Maybe a little too much