Betrayal -FF

A gun shot was the only word you said And all of my defenses came out red Love was red, love is red She left with you, you left me lying dead So I watched her as you put me in the dirt She had my wallet tucked inside her skirt And I went numb, I went numb So I'm not dead if what you did don't hurt -Betrayal, Fiction Family I'm a sucker for story songs, what can I say. The lyrics to this song display 3 of my very favorite things that can be done in a song. 1. An incredibly interesting hook. "A gun shot was the only word you said". You can't forget that. It is different enough to be remembered. It's talking about something not spoken, but communicated. The shot said more than any word could communcate. Such a beautiful line there. 2. Mentioning something, then finding out just how true it is, so it repeated as fact. "Love was red, love is red". Love wasn't just red, Jon found out. Love is red. As if to say, "How could I have missed that all along". Love isn't like red, it is red. Love is in my blood, it spills out on the floor. It is red. 3. It makes a radical assertion. "So I'm not dead if what you did don't hurt". A radical claim. He gets to decide what kills him. He gets to decide what will hurt. It gives him back power, dignity. It's enough for him. Overall, I love the song, I love the hooks and bold claims. I need more of it in my own writing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If only a god could speak into our world...

Something Held On To

Maybe a little too much