Five Iron Friday #22

I know that you're probably mad at me. I've come to expect that. You know that you'll never have all of me, you've come to resent that. You say "tomato", I say "video games", you're acting so solemn. You'll take the precious remote control from me. Do I sound like Gollum? (It's) not that I'm escaping, you charm me like the flame does moths, it's just that you'd prefer me docile, like a narcoleptic sloth. The wizard needs food badly, the Voltron can't be incomplete. The things I love, you hate so madly, I must not go down in defeat. -Wizard Needs Food Badly, FIF This song is an attempt to unexplain something deep and central about the male gender. We long for adventure. We want to provide, to give, to make your life better. We want to be your hero. Some of you might want that too, some of you might, but few, if any of you, want it like men want it. If we can't find that in life, and believe me, we'd love to, then we will seek it out in video games. We would love to be a hero in "real life", trust me. But we're not all Michael Jordan. I just plain cannot be a reliable shooter. I never owned a paintball gun worth shooting. I'm O.K. at hunting, I'm a decent fisherman. And I'm not sure if you've noticed, but there aren't too many dragons flying around these days. And yes, there are many challenges, many things we can fight, wrongs that need to be righted. You're absolutely right. But that doesn't fill the void, just... just trust me. Men long to be men, there is this bomb just ticking in us that needs to meet it's destiny, or it puts us in danger of exploding, and nobody wants that.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If only a god could speak into our world...

Something Held On To

Maybe a little too much