Surprising Yourself

I know that this is a diversion from what I usually write about, but last night I dug up a short story I had been working on over 3 years ago. I stopped working on it because frankly, the idea of pacing out a short story is terrifying to a guy that rarely rambles for more than a few pages. Having to draw out characters, know them on a "normal" day, to paint them through different scenes so that the reader would know them for more than their frenetic actions when the action is on.

But it was terribly interesting to go back and read. I hope I'm not the only one to look back on a writing, or really, and creative bit, with surprise. Like a 7th grade art project that you had forgotten about. When you look upon something like that, sometimes you see something that makes you think "I know what you were going for there." Almost like you are now proud of your past self.

Come to think of it there's a baby picture of me that I've looked at, and thought, little baby Nate (if its alright to call you that), I want to make you proud. (I was actually making a fist in that baby picture, I wrote a poem about that, but thats for another time).

I'm experiencing all of this with this short story. I'm actually quite excited to finish it. Doubtful that it will be great, but it may at least be worth sharing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If only a god could speak into our world...

Something Held On To

Maybe a little too much