Trusted

A Ben Folds Song about a Girl, and how everything seems to relate to my father lately
 
The sun's coming up she's pulled all the blankets over
Curled in a ball like she's hiding from me and
That's when I know she's gonna be pissed when she wakes up
For terrible things I did to her in her dreams
You wanna see the other side
What's going on behind the eyes?
Still it seems if you can't trust
You can't be trusted
Didn't you know we're as close as we can be?
-Trusted, Ben Folds

Let me first say, that I wish this song didn't have any truth to it. I wish people could move on, and we could forget. I wish we could trust without a history. I wish we could trust because family should be able to.

I know this song is about a girl, and thats fine, but I just heard this song yesterday for the first time in quite a while. And really, and I love it when this happens, the lyrics weren't the first thing to connect with me. Rather, it was how he sang them. I know that emphatic and exasperated tone.

I want to focus on this line: "That's when I know she's gonna be pissed when she wakes up
For terrible things I did to her in her dreams."

I think we've all got demons, all have weaknesses and things that come up and remind us, horrifically, of terrible instances that have occurred. I think I do that for my dad. I think he is just so sure that I hate him, that I can't believe him or trust him. He jumps from loving me to hating me, even in the same breath. Proud to disgusted. Like I'm haunting his dreams. Thinking up new hurts.

I hate when he says that he's disappointed in me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If only a god could speak into our world...

Something Held On To

Maybe a little too much