Sixpence and a pound

I was looking through the lyrics of a couple of old Sixpence None the Richer songs, and was struck by some of it. In the song "Within a room somewhere", she writes about how God is within, without. That is a hard thing for us to accept. It has been romanticized at times that if YOU don't act, if you don't take that step of faith, somehow God's will won't come to happen. It is used as motivation. But God is within and without me. I have to live out of that strength, that He is in and involved in me. That He gives me power to do what I otherwise could not do. But I also must be aware that God is also without me. That He exists and operates through people I don't expect Him to, and He works in ways that are far beyond me. Both within, and without. And then in the song "Love, Salvation, The fear of Death": "all these gongs and cymbals ring inside my head surrendered body to the flames has singed the skin can't speak in tongues and even if I could it's nothing because I cannot love" I love sixpence for songs like this. It is just honest. We need to start with our ability to love. If we aren't there, then all the other power, all the other things we could aspire to do and be are nothing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If only a god could speak into our world...

Something Held On To

Maybe a little too much